May 6, 2008
1. Comcast Sportsnet – Its just too perfect. Not only do they show the Phillies, Flyers, and Sixers but the Post Game shows for all of them are fantastic. The Eagles Post Game show is two hours every week, and how many other teams have the state’s current govenor as an analyst? The fact that you can’t get this channel on satellite not only has kept me from ever considering a dish but makes me worry that I can’t ever move out of CSN viewing area.
2. ESPN (all of them) – I hate SportsCenter and just about every show except for Around the Horn, PTI, and Baseball Tonight. They show so many big games I have to watch, even if its on mute. Big points go to ESPNews (I can’t wait to have ESPNews HD full time) because they show highlights, that’s all I need.
3. Comedy Central – The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. They should just show these on a loop as their own channel and I’d be in. I don’t even have to mention South Park to get this ranking. Ok, I’ll mention South Park. I remember not too long ago being worried that they might be slowing down. After this season, it may go on forever. By this point in the Simpsons run I was bored.
4. NBC – Here is my list of NBC shows: The Office, Scrubs, My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, Heroes, Chuck, Friday Night Lights, Conan, Saturday Night Live, and Last Comic Standing. I looked at the other networks and I only watch 2 or 3 shows on each of them.
5. CBS – There are a lot of channels even for this final spot. I went with quality. The only shows I watch on CBS are How I Met Your Mother and Letterman. All of the other contenders have slightly above average shows.
Up and Comer: HGTV. Ever since I got this channel in HD I started watching more. For some reason I love shows about kitchens. I don’t like to cook so I think its the number of creative designs and gadgets that can go in a kitchen. HGTV also has a lot of shows about houses. Either shopping for them or looking at expensive or interesting ones.